Skip to main content
Can someone please explain why my Quicktime isn't working? Anyone with prophetic awareness of my little Atlas, none so old but recently behaving so?

Comments

  1. Have you tried un-installing it and re-installing it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes - still doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hhmmm. then i had no idea. that is VERY strange. is it not loading at all? will it open but not play a video? what exactly will it do and/or NOT do?
    let us solve this mystery together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it will open. But let's just say I go to a website and one of the ads that runs on the side of their screen uses a quicktime video. The blue Q will pop up like it's trying to load and just taking a while, and then it will stop and there will be a white question mark over the Q signifying that it cannot load because of some kind of error. It also happens on YouTube, and of course, on apple.com/trailers. So as you can imagine, this is a serious problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. uh...ok, so it works on some videos and doesn't work on others. for example, some of the trailers on apple.com will play and some of them won't. i can find no reasonable connection between the ones that will and the one's that won't, so i don't know if this is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, this is VERY important! You must be able to get to your YouTube videos and movie trailers!!!
    I have NO idea why it will work on some and not on others. Sometimes when things take "too long" to load they "time out" - perhaps this is what is happening? Perhaps on longer/larger videos this could be happening?
    I asked Chris. He has no idea. But he didnt think for very long or very hard...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tell him to think longer and harder. It has only been happening in the last month. You would be amazed how many online thingys use Quicktime without advertising the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I believe you!
    I'm afraid it's probably a weird, quirk/twitch/tourette-type symptom that probably can't be solved.
    but we will think. and keep thinking...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

window in the sub

Dear Nathaniel, I am microwaving pie that Mom bought up in Oak Glen this week on her way home from the orthodontist. As I put it in the microwave, I was full of sadness that I was not in Oak Glen with her. Why did I not go? I was working. I want to see the trees turn. I want to wander slowly through autumnal gift shops. Under the water, you cannot sense the approach of the seasons. Even here it is difficult because, after all, it's California. But I can still sense it. After three seasons in Illinois and one in Scotland, it must be with me for good. Or at least for a while. Because I am all abuzz with eagerness for fall and winter, for turkeys and dried leaves and Santa. I should start cooking again this fall. Fall foods are my favorite. Baked squash dripping with melted butter and brown sugar, pumpkin soup... this year, if I have enough money, I will put together a holiday dinner for my friends. And we will drink Scandinavian mulled wine, which is the most wonderful thing I have e...

Being a Baker

Working at the Main Library has surprising advantages. Just now I stepped out of my office, walked five paces across the hall, scanned a badge, and walked under the civic center plaza to the elevator that stretches from beneath the earth up to the mayor’s office on the fourteenth floor. I didn’t have so far to go—just up one level to the utilities counter, where a sympathetic, amused woman named Sue shut down my gas payments. It took less than five minutes. I finished packing up my kitchen days ago. My cake pans were in boxes sometime early last week. But as I walked through the underground loading dock on my way back to the office, I was distinctly aware of the finality of what I’d just done. I would never, from that moment on, be able to bake for anyone out of that kitchen. Maybe it doesn’t seem like a very big deal, but I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of a certain identity, namely being “the person who bakes a lot”. I made a tiered wedding cake for some friends (because...

Fontastic

One of the perpetual projects in my little publishing company's life is the development of our company logo. This is my favorite project, as it involves the use of fonts. And I am rather a font fanatic. I have spent the last few hours trolling dafont.com, which is a wonderful website of free and mostly-free fonts for personal and often commercial usage. Rather than download every font I like, I sketched out my own versions of each of them as they inspired me. I thought I'd share them with you here, and if any of my noble readers have preferences, feel free to shoot me a comment. I am hoping I have determined the font-of-choice by the time the new website is ready to go up. After all, what's a corporate website without a corporate logo? Here are some photos of my most recent selections.