Skip to main content

birthday wishlist

Enough people have asked me what I want for my birthday, that I have decided to post a wishlist on this blog. I know that twenty-six is long past the age of getting significant presents, but I also know that there are some people who will buy me things anyway. So I might as well.

DVDs and music seem to be the fallback for me. It's difficult to get me something I don't like in this arena - but a list might be helpful. I guess.

So I need to replace my copy of The Village, allegedly stolen by druggies. This is a must. I keep forgetting, and then regretting that I don't have it.
I don't have any film adaptations of Dickens novels - and no, I don't want Nicholas Nickleby. I like Our Mutual Friend and David Copperfield best.
I would love some classic Hitchcock films. I'm not interested in any of the ones with Carey Grant. But I like all of the others. Except maybe the Birds.
And I simply love How to Steal a Million with Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole. I don't know why I don't own it already.
Big Fish
Whale Rider
Bandits (I only have the VHS. Difficult to watch without a VHS player.)
oh! Oh!oh!! Dear Frankie. Possibly one of the most gently beautiful films ever. And I don't own it, why?
and A Room with a View. It's just absurd that I don't own that thing. I want to watch it at least once a month:
'Truth! Beauty!'
'He's saying his creed...'

All the Joanna Newsom music I own from her album Milk Eyed Mender was stolen brazenly from music blogs. I would feel better about my eternal destiny if I owned the album outright.
The same goes for Regina Spektor, only I'm not particularly interested in Soviet Kitzch. It's fun and all, but I keep wondering, 'why, Regina, are you singing about socks? what is the point?' and I grow tired of taming my own criticism. but dear sweet beloved Jesus, is Samson not one of the most beautiful songs in the biosphere?
I don't have the newest Coldplay album.
and I'd like some Bach and Puccini and Schubert.

though really, if you're gonna buy me all that music, we might as well just get tickets to something.

On second thought, forget about presents. Take me out to lunch and I'll buy my own music. and Netflix the movies.

or - here's a better thought - donate a dollar to the send-Molly-to-Israel-this-summer fund. I've got a hankering to go, and a pretty good reason, too.

Comments

  1. right molly, how are we supposed to fight over who gets to get what if you can read the argument?

    Not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you figured it out, huh? how 'bout i promise not to read the comments. maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't believe you
    I'm just taking a shot in the dark and keeping the receipt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sampson is perhaps one of the best songs. I hope you have it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do! Well... I had it before.... just not legitimately.... It was wonderful to see you yesterday!! Remember, you're welcome to crash at my house any time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

window in the sub

Dear Nathaniel, I am microwaving pie that Mom bought up in Oak Glen this week on her way home from the orthodontist. As I put it in the microwave, I was full of sadness that I was not in Oak Glen with her. Why did I not go? I was working. I want to see the trees turn. I want to wander slowly through autumnal gift shops. Under the water, you cannot sense the approach of the seasons. Even here it is difficult because, after all, it's California. But I can still sense it. After three seasons in Illinois and one in Scotland, it must be with me for good. Or at least for a while. Because I am all abuzz with eagerness for fall and winter, for turkeys and dried leaves and Santa. I should start cooking again this fall. Fall foods are my favorite. Baked squash dripping with melted butter and brown sugar, pumpkin soup... this year, if I have enough money, I will put together a holiday dinner for my friends. And we will drink Scandinavian mulled wine, which is the most wonderful thing I have e...

Again in Gilead

I just finished reading this for the second time last week, thanks to the forever book group of Grace. It was equally as lovely the second time around, and while reading it, I wrote down a dozen more quotes from the incomparable Ames, who is both too beautiful a man to be real and too beautiful a man not to be real. (I'm grateful and amazed to know a few like him.) "It has been my experience that guilt can burst through the smallest breach and cover the landscape, and abide in it in pools and danknesses, just as native as water." (p.82) I have found this to be remarkably true. I see it in myself, and in many others as well. "I believe there are visions that come to us only in memory, in retrospect." (p.91) This seems to be about the only way I experience visions, but because memory is a rickety thing, I tend not to trust them much. Which makes me a poor prophet. "I know, too, that my own experience of the church has been, in many senses, shelte...

Being a Baker

Working at the Main Library has surprising advantages. Just now I stepped out of my office, walked five paces across the hall, scanned a badge, and walked under the civic center plaza to the elevator that stretches from beneath the earth up to the mayor’s office on the fourteenth floor. I didn’t have so far to go—just up one level to the utilities counter, where a sympathetic, amused woman named Sue shut down my gas payments. It took less than five minutes. I finished packing up my kitchen days ago. My cake pans were in boxes sometime early last week. But as I walked through the underground loading dock on my way back to the office, I was distinctly aware of the finality of what I’d just done. I would never, from that moment on, be able to bake for anyone out of that kitchen. Maybe it doesn’t seem like a very big deal, but I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of a certain identity, namely being “the person who bakes a lot”. I made a tiered wedding cake for some friends (because...