Skip to main content

Mortal Instruments Continued and Concluded

So I finished the Mortal Instruments series mentioned and pictured below. Let me tell you, once you get past the absurdity of goo-dripping demons and warlocks in drag, they are really good books. By Book Three (City of Glass), Ms. Clare has almost overcome her interruptive tendencies and even - almost - developed the majority of her central cast to a point where we actually care what happens to them.

But that's not really why they're worth reading. You see, I am on a perpetual hunt for phenomenal heroes, and she wrote one. In fact, I am creating a new label for this blog. Because I intend to find more*. In these books, the hero in question is named Jace. I quibbled with such a contemporary, made-up name for our hero, until I discovered that it was a nickname hiding all sorts of fabulous identity crises. You see, Jace does not know who he is, where he has come from, or even what he was made of. Literally. Applying the phrase 'internal demons' to him is ironic in a number of ways. He's beautiful and scarred, noble and conflicted, hilariously funny and enormously grave. Of course, for about a book and a half you think you're just reading some absurd teen adventure story with little depth and little more characterization. But it's worth it. I think. :)

* some heroes already found include, but are not limited to, the following: Levin from Anna Karenina, the pig who turns about to be a dragon who is also a man in Pigs Don't Fly, of course Edward and Jacob though i am increasingly bored of the former, yes yes Horatio Hornblower, the god in Gail Carson Levine's Ever, Alec Forbes of Howglen in Alec Forbes of Howglen, and Jesus.

Comments

  1. what? mercator doesn't make the list???

    Just you wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mercator's too young to be a hero. his story is a bildungsroman, not an epic. sort of. so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesus is at the end of a list of fictional literary characters? The same list as your twilight heroes? You're scaring me. We need to talk...

    me,
    m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesus is at the end as a climax or crescendo of literary heroism. He's a hero in real life, but being the main character of the most popular book in the world, also a literary hero. And the epitome of Hero. The source of all Hero.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kathryn, do NOT be jealous of me going to the opera. It was weird. They were wearing these bulky animal costumes and clonking boots which might have been okay except that their footsteps drowned out the sound of the orchestra (Oh look! A band!). The plot was supposed to be about the circle of life or something deep, but it really seemed to be more about animals getting it on. It was an opera, though, so plot really shouldn't matter as long as the music is good. It wasn't. I mean, it wasn't BAD - but most of the singing was monotonous, the orchestration was unremarkable, and I hope to heaven no one from the production reads this. It would be so disheartening! They were all skillful - I just wasn't interested in the piece itself. But then, I have only ever seen very classical sorts of pieces. The Marriage of Figaro. Samson and Delilah. And I was listening to Puccini before leaving the house! What do you do? But then again, I was distracted by my seating companion. Five so

window in the sub

Dear Nathaniel, I am microwaving pie that Mom bought up in Oak Glen this week on her way home from the orthodontist. As I put it in the microwave, I was full of sadness that I was not in Oak Glen with her. Why did I not go? I was working. I want to see the trees turn. I want to wander slowly through autumnal gift shops. Under the water, you cannot sense the approach of the seasons. Even here it is difficult because, after all, it's California. But I can still sense it. After three seasons in Illinois and one in Scotland, it must be with me for good. Or at least for a while. Because I am all abuzz with eagerness for fall and winter, for turkeys and dried leaves and Santa. I should start cooking again this fall. Fall foods are my favorite. Baked squash dripping with melted butter and brown sugar, pumpkin soup... this year, if I have enough money, I will put together a holiday dinner for my friends. And we will drink Scandinavian mulled wine, which is the most wonderful thing I have e
Someday, if there is a man trying to woo me and finding it difficult (unlikely, but possible), he need only put this on .