Skip to main content
A red helicopter is buzzing over the bay. After weeks of fog and smog, Catalina is finally searing its way across the horizon. There's a breeze and sun, convertibles cruising the boulevard, a yacht on the water, crows. The neighbors are walking by, slower than yesterday. They dress in bright, bold colors, and he always wears a hat. For all the busyness of this place, it feels more neighborly than our house on Silktree ever did. Car alarms go off every night around eleven, but there's no one screaming bloody murder at their granchild across the street or punk kids throwing rocks in the pool from next door (or blowing out your air conditioner with a pellet gun, or letting their ferocious dog out to attack innocent bystanders).

It's easy to be overcome by the illusion of self-importance. Especially when you have an account on facebook, a twitter page, and a blog. Lately, I've toyed with the idea of dropping them all. Like when I quit going to New Life and started going to St Francis instead. It kept occurring to me, Sunday after Sunday, 'these people won't actually miss me.' It wasn't a sad thought; it was liberating. But as you see, I have not quit the blog. I feel like I've an obligation to your internet routine, being here every now and then with something new. When I really feel like quitting is when I find myself fiercely curious to know who is reading and why and from where and for how long. I'll putter about on my analytics page, frustrated with the teasingly minute information it gives me, only to realize how absurd it all is. Like when you realize you've just had a lengthy, intense conversation with yourself in the mirror. 'Fool,' you say, 'you really need to get out more.'

But it's not so idiotic to want some kind of response, really. Because blogging is more like the conversation in the mirror than anything else. That's why I'm so thankful, you regulars, that you post comments all the time. It reminds me that I'm not chattering away at myself. There is still conversation left in the world. We still relate.

The world passes by around me, not one of these pedestrians giving me a second thought - most of them with stories more interesting than my own. I will never know them, they will never know me. I am as inconsequential as the crab in the sea. It is not a sad thought; it is strangely liberating. (Thought not exactly true.)

Thank you for not being strangers.

Comments

  1. i know. and so i will keep on blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't comment often .. but i do read and listen and savor! thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, abby! it is good to remember you. and know that you are living well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kathryn, do NOT be jealous of me going to the opera. It was weird. They were wearing these bulky animal costumes and clonking boots which might have been okay except that their footsteps drowned out the sound of the orchestra (Oh look! A band!). The plot was supposed to be about the circle of life or something deep, but it really seemed to be more about animals getting it on. It was an opera, though, so plot really shouldn't matter as long as the music is good. It wasn't. I mean, it wasn't BAD - but most of the singing was monotonous, the orchestration was unremarkable, and I hope to heaven no one from the production reads this. It would be so disheartening! They were all skillful - I just wasn't interested in the piece itself. But then, I have only ever seen very classical sorts of pieces. The Marriage of Figaro. Samson and Delilah. And I was listening to Puccini before leaving the house! What do you do? But then again, I was distracted by my seating companion. Five so

window in the sub

Dear Nathaniel, I am microwaving pie that Mom bought up in Oak Glen this week on her way home from the orthodontist. As I put it in the microwave, I was full of sadness that I was not in Oak Glen with her. Why did I not go? I was working. I want to see the trees turn. I want to wander slowly through autumnal gift shops. Under the water, you cannot sense the approach of the seasons. Even here it is difficult because, after all, it's California. But I can still sense it. After three seasons in Illinois and one in Scotland, it must be with me for good. Or at least for a while. Because I am all abuzz with eagerness for fall and winter, for turkeys and dried leaves and Santa. I should start cooking again this fall. Fall foods are my favorite. Baked squash dripping with melted butter and brown sugar, pumpkin soup... this year, if I have enough money, I will put together a holiday dinner for my friends. And we will drink Scandinavian mulled wine, which is the most wonderful thing I have e
Someday, if there is a man trying to woo me and finding it difficult (unlikely, but possible), he need only put this on .