Skip to main content

Blog

My dad has a lot of books sitting on the shelves of what we call the "man room," books that nobody reads but him - and even that I'm skeptical of. Some of the books are actually mine, but the generalization remains: he's still the only one who reads them. One of them, though, I plucked from the shelf a while ago in a rare attempt to educate myself on the internet phenomenon I so regularly take part in. It's Hugh Hewitt's book Blog, and it's sitting next to me right now.

Somehow it managed to land on a different bookshelf - my own - and has been there for over six months. Most of it is geared more toward political or current events blog-dom, but it does provide an interesting, Hewitt-esque perspective on the history of similar social phenomena. The most interesting aspect of the book is it's current relevance - and irrelevance. Published in 2005, the book is self-consciously outdated at six years of age.

While most of the things Hewitt acknowledges are still significant today, his rallying cry for all types of everyone in business or politics or any field of knowledge to find their corner of the blog market and stand ground . . . well, I'm not sure we need to hear that anymore. I'm pretty sure everyone's already done that. The battle now is not so much about content, but traffic. Long ago, I learned about the paralyzing nature of choice. Take one quick look at my Google Reader, and you'll be backing slowly away.

My real question from all this has little to do with blogs and more to do with the infinite nature of the internet and how that affects how our brains process information and how that affects canon and communities and . . . oh, all sorts of things. But because this is not a professional blog, because it is a personal blog read by only a few, I will leave this post at that. No conclusions. No grand statement. Not even a book review. So there.

Comments

  1. no, no! don't stop! I want to hear more...pursue this further...hey, what do you mean, SO THERE? This is personal to me. I'd just sit and talk to you about this, but it sounds so much smarter when I read what you write. Hmmm. Strange to think that I so easily could just talk to you about this...just down the hall.
    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am just down the hall. I started re-reading this post when I saw that you commented, and couldn't initially figure out why you found it relevant - until the end when I mention how the human brain works. You're more of an expert than I am, so maybe you should talk. Perhaps I should whip up a new post about it. The short version is that I think the internet is training our brains to process quantities of information at computer-like speeds. Which can be a very good thing, except that we are failing to develop our powers of critical thinking along with it. The more we think like a computer, the less we will be able to develop abstract, philosophical or even beautiful ideas that rely less on information and more on understanding (or even wisdom).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kathryn, do NOT be jealous of me going to the opera. It was weird. They were wearing these bulky animal costumes and clonking boots which might have been okay except that their footsteps drowned out the sound of the orchestra (Oh look! A band!). The plot was supposed to be about the circle of life or something deep, but it really seemed to be more about animals getting it on. It was an opera, though, so plot really shouldn't matter as long as the music is good. It wasn't. I mean, it wasn't BAD - but most of the singing was monotonous, the orchestration was unremarkable, and I hope to heaven no one from the production reads this. It would be so disheartening! They were all skillful - I just wasn't interested in the piece itself. But then, I have only ever seen very classical sorts of pieces. The Marriage of Figaro. Samson and Delilah. And I was listening to Puccini before leaving the house! What do you do? But then again, I was distracted by my seating companion. Five so

window in the sub

Dear Nathaniel, I am microwaving pie that Mom bought up in Oak Glen this week on her way home from the orthodontist. As I put it in the microwave, I was full of sadness that I was not in Oak Glen with her. Why did I not go? I was working. I want to see the trees turn. I want to wander slowly through autumnal gift shops. Under the water, you cannot sense the approach of the seasons. Even here it is difficult because, after all, it's California. But I can still sense it. After three seasons in Illinois and one in Scotland, it must be with me for good. Or at least for a while. Because I am all abuzz with eagerness for fall and winter, for turkeys and dried leaves and Santa. I should start cooking again this fall. Fall foods are my favorite. Baked squash dripping with melted butter and brown sugar, pumpkin soup... this year, if I have enough money, I will put together a holiday dinner for my friends. And we will drink Scandinavian mulled wine, which is the most wonderful thing I have e
Someday, if there is a man trying to woo me and finding it difficult (unlikely, but possible), he need only put this on .