Skip to main content

Roma, day Six



was Christmas Day, and Chaeli and I hopped on the first train we found to Assisi. The train conductor was very friendly and charged us half price for our tickets! The Umbrian countryside is beautiful and I want to live there. It is much like California, though, and I think that if our lovely state was not so heavily populated and had a greater history of struggle and some impressive crumbling architecture, it could definitely rival Italy for beauty. The train stopped just below Assisi, which is in the hills, in a town called Santa Maria degli Angeli. We did not know that it was not Assisi, though, since the train station was called "Assisi" and there were guidebooks for Assisi in the station gift shop. It took us a while to figure this out and longer still to discover that the busses had all stopped running. I spent the evening in a coffeeshop while Chaeli used the internet cafe round the corner trying to find the hotel in which she had made reservations. We got a ride to Assisi from the guy who ran the internet shop, but since he was a guy of about twenty years old and Chaeli is attractive, he brought along his cousin and they tried to take us dancing. I was a bit uncomfortable with the situation. They seemed like very safe boys, too awkward to be a threat, too genuinely curious to have wicked intentions, but I was tired and just wanted to sleep. They brought us to the hotel to check in first, but by this time, the reception desk was closed, all the lights were out, and we had to find an alternative. The third hotel we stopped at was open, and I asked to be excused from the night's revelry. I took a much-needed bath while Chaeli went out, but apparently the disco was closed as well. So they showed her a hilltop night view of the city, which I am sure was very impressive, and took her back to the hotel safe and sound.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

window in the sub

Dear Nathaniel, I am microwaving pie that Mom bought up in Oak Glen this week on her way home from the orthodontist. As I put it in the microwave, I was full of sadness that I was not in Oak Glen with her. Why did I not go? I was working. I want to see the trees turn. I want to wander slowly through autumnal gift shops. Under the water, you cannot sense the approach of the seasons. Even here it is difficult because, after all, it's California. But I can still sense it. After three seasons in Illinois and one in Scotland, it must be with me for good. Or at least for a while. Because I am all abuzz with eagerness for fall and winter, for turkeys and dried leaves and Santa. I should start cooking again this fall. Fall foods are my favorite. Baked squash dripping with melted butter and brown sugar, pumpkin soup... this year, if I have enough money, I will put together a holiday dinner for my friends. And we will drink Scandinavian mulled wine, which is the most wonderful thing I have e...

Again in Gilead

I just finished reading this for the second time last week, thanks to the forever book group of Grace. It was equally as lovely the second time around, and while reading it, I wrote down a dozen more quotes from the incomparable Ames, who is both too beautiful a man to be real and too beautiful a man not to be real. (I'm grateful and amazed to know a few like him.) "It has been my experience that guilt can burst through the smallest breach and cover the landscape, and abide in it in pools and danknesses, just as native as water." (p.82) I have found this to be remarkably true. I see it in myself, and in many others as well. "I believe there are visions that come to us only in memory, in retrospect." (p.91) This seems to be about the only way I experience visions, but because memory is a rickety thing, I tend not to trust them much. Which makes me a poor prophet. "I know, too, that my own experience of the church has been, in many senses, shelte...

Being a Baker

Working at the Main Library has surprising advantages. Just now I stepped out of my office, walked five paces across the hall, scanned a badge, and walked under the civic center plaza to the elevator that stretches from beneath the earth up to the mayor’s office on the fourteenth floor. I didn’t have so far to go—just up one level to the utilities counter, where a sympathetic, amused woman named Sue shut down my gas payments. It took less than five minutes. I finished packing up my kitchen days ago. My cake pans were in boxes sometime early last week. But as I walked through the underground loading dock on my way back to the office, I was distinctly aware of the finality of what I’d just done. I would never, from that moment on, be able to bake for anyone out of that kitchen. Maybe it doesn’t seem like a very big deal, but I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of a certain identity, namely being “the person who bakes a lot”. I made a tiered wedding cake for some friends (because...