Skip to main content
I have a feeling this blog is going to turn into a book review site. Not sure how I feel about that. Nevertheless, here's a heads-up that another review is on its way. (How many blogs are given over to personal opinions about books, movies, and music? Am I prepared to enter that horde?) On my breaks at work, those same precious fifteen-minute interludes that brought me through Despereaux, I am now reading Jerry Spinelli's book for teens: Stargirl. If anyone feels like reading it along with me, I've just finished the part about the basketball game. So far, it's a book I think you should read. Despereaux's better, but this is certainly worth one's while. Here's why:

There are a lot of books out for teenagers that are set within the sphere of a high school. Movies too (think Ten Things I Hate About You, Clueless, and other non-adaptation films). These usually address the interactions between social groups, as if these social groups - though perhaps lamentable - are unavoidably fixed institutions. Stargirl, as far as I can tell from the first 10-13 chapters, is a challenge to question such an assumption. It addresses high schoolers as interesting people, and takes advantage of the intimacy of the campus setting to reveal both the best and the worst in people.

If you're interested, here's further fodder for Stargirl fanaticism - a link to a word search that you can print out and play at your leisure. Test that Stargirl word-association power!:

http://www.unit5.org/oakdaleimc/Tech2003/stargirl.htm

Comments

  1. Mom gave me that book to read. I need to start reading it! Then we can talk about it! Ok, starting tomorrow, I will resist the television and pick up the book. :-)
    Oh, and I found a grey hair. A REAL one. Great. I'm getting old.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

window in the sub

Dear Nathaniel, I am microwaving pie that Mom bought up in Oak Glen this week on her way home from the orthodontist. As I put it in the microwave, I was full of sadness that I was not in Oak Glen with her. Why did I not go? I was working. I want to see the trees turn. I want to wander slowly through autumnal gift shops. Under the water, you cannot sense the approach of the seasons. Even here it is difficult because, after all, it's California. But I can still sense it. After three seasons in Illinois and one in Scotland, it must be with me for good. Or at least for a while. Because I am all abuzz with eagerness for fall and winter, for turkeys and dried leaves and Santa. I should start cooking again this fall. Fall foods are my favorite. Baked squash dripping with melted butter and brown sugar, pumpkin soup... this year, if I have enough money, I will put together a holiday dinner for my friends. And we will drink Scandinavian mulled wine, which is the most wonderful thing I have e...

Being a Baker

Working at the Main Library has surprising advantages. Just now I stepped out of my office, walked five paces across the hall, scanned a badge, and walked under the civic center plaza to the elevator that stretches from beneath the earth up to the mayor’s office on the fourteenth floor. I didn’t have so far to go—just up one level to the utilities counter, where a sympathetic, amused woman named Sue shut down my gas payments. It took less than five minutes. I finished packing up my kitchen days ago. My cake pans were in boxes sometime early last week. But as I walked through the underground loading dock on my way back to the office, I was distinctly aware of the finality of what I’d just done. I would never, from that moment on, be able to bake for anyone out of that kitchen. Maybe it doesn’t seem like a very big deal, but I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of a certain identity, namely being “the person who bakes a lot”. I made a tiered wedding cake for some friends (because...

Fontastic

One of the perpetual projects in my little publishing company's life is the development of our company logo. This is my favorite project, as it involves the use of fonts. And I am rather a font fanatic. I have spent the last few hours trolling dafont.com, which is a wonderful website of free and mostly-free fonts for personal and often commercial usage. Rather than download every font I like, I sketched out my own versions of each of them as they inspired me. I thought I'd share them with you here, and if any of my noble readers have preferences, feel free to shoot me a comment. I am hoping I have determined the font-of-choice by the time the new website is ready to go up. After all, what's a corporate website without a corporate logo? Here are some photos of my most recent selections.