Skip to main content

Creative Energies

I have been editing a lot lately, several books at once, in fact. And there's something interesting that happens when you have a lot of work to do that is almost creative but not quite. You start having really deep urges to create your own work, projects that will take a lot of time and mental energy that you simply don't have.

There are two particular novels that I someday want to write, both related to one another, but which I always imagined in two distinct genres. The first would be literary fiction, and it would be about a young woman to whom not much happens (I've never been very good developing plot). The second would be a fantasy novel about the first novel's main character's sister. Lots happens to this girl, though I never could quite figure out what exactly. I know she gets imprisoned, more or less, and that she goes on a journey which involves a train and a walrus and a small raft in the middle of the ocean right above the Marianas Trench (work with me here).

In the process of editing other people's books (all of which have very well-developed plots, I might add), I have had this epiphany about my own two loosely related novels. They should both be science fiction! Dystopian! Still not sure what exactly will happen, but I have a very clear image of their urban transportation system. I am very excited to write this someday, and I hope that the more I edit other people's work, the more developed this unplotted multi-genre book duo will become.

In the meantime, since the two sisters are twins (another detail I came up with while I should have been thinking of other authors' characters), I've been trying to figure out what actresses could play these twins in the inevitable blockbuster hit adapted from my Pulitzer Prize winning science fiction series.
  
The only twins I could come up with were the Olsens. I am trying very hard to convince myself that they are amazing actresses somewhere deep beneath all that Hollywood fashion. Also . . . I still can't tell them apart. Can anyone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

window in the sub

Dear Nathaniel, I am microwaving pie that Mom bought up in Oak Glen this week on her way home from the orthodontist. As I put it in the microwave, I was full of sadness that I was not in Oak Glen with her. Why did I not go? I was working. I want to see the trees turn. I want to wander slowly through autumnal gift shops. Under the water, you cannot sense the approach of the seasons. Even here it is difficult because, after all, it's California. But I can still sense it. After three seasons in Illinois and one in Scotland, it must be with me for good. Or at least for a while. Because I am all abuzz with eagerness for fall and winter, for turkeys and dried leaves and Santa. I should start cooking again this fall. Fall foods are my favorite. Baked squash dripping with melted butter and brown sugar, pumpkin soup... this year, if I have enough money, I will put together a holiday dinner for my friends. And we will drink Scandinavian mulled wine, which is the most wonderful thing I have e...

Again in Gilead

I just finished reading this for the second time last week, thanks to the forever book group of Grace. It was equally as lovely the second time around, and while reading it, I wrote down a dozen more quotes from the incomparable Ames, who is both too beautiful a man to be real and too beautiful a man not to be real. (I'm grateful and amazed to know a few like him.) "It has been my experience that guilt can burst through the smallest breach and cover the landscape, and abide in it in pools and danknesses, just as native as water." (p.82) I have found this to be remarkably true. I see it in myself, and in many others as well. "I believe there are visions that come to us only in memory, in retrospect." (p.91) This seems to be about the only way I experience visions, but because memory is a rickety thing, I tend not to trust them much. Which makes me a poor prophet. "I know, too, that my own experience of the church has been, in many senses, shelte...

At the close of nine years

I'm moving to Texas in less than two months. I've lived in Long Beach now for nine years. Already I have stacks of books covering my dining room table that I'll be reading for my PhD program in the fall. I've quietly begun the tedious work of sorting and cleaning everything in my little apartment. I'm scheduling all of my last days with friends, moving through my calendar in reverse order from when I expect to slip into my car and drive away. This is the longest I've lived in one place, so I've never really experienced a leaving quite like this before. I remember the day I left Wheaton, closing the bedroom door on my best friend, walking down to Chaeli's car so she could drive me to the airport. (The greatest grace of Texas is that she will be there. Some friends we never lose completely.) I remember leaving California for Scotland—walking away from my mother in the Palm Springs airport. We leave people who have changed us, and we leave places that ha...