Skip to main content

Pinterules

Not to overdo it on Pinterposts, but the recent onslaught of friends, acquaintances, and everyone-else on Pinterest has led me to think of some rules. In pirate fashion, these are actually guidelines, and the purpose is to ensure that Pinterest is useful and interesting for you - because, quite honestly, it's not really a social network. It's a network, and a society, but it's mostly a silent one. Pinterest comments are rare, and the best followers and followeds are more often than not complete strangers. It's about meeting one another in the places your aesthetic tastes lie. Who you are behind your tastes is secondary. I will never meet Mary Beth Burrell, but I love her outrageous 433 boards. I will never meet Maia Then, but we swap typography pins on a regular basis, without overt acknowledgement.

1. To begin with, you shouldn't join Pinterest just because "everyone else is doing it." You can browse your friends' boards without making your own, so don't feel like you have to make an empty profile unless you start seeing pictures everywhere that you don't want to lose!

Because that is the ultimate point. To keep all the pretty things you see together in one unforgettable place. It has nothing to do with how many followers you have, or how often you are repinned. Those things are nice affirmations of your style-sense, but if you have 100 followers and five pins, you're missing the point.

2. There are three things you can do to someone else's pin (other than commenting or ignoring, which would make five...). You can report it, which you should do if it is inappropriate, the guidelines for which are outlined under Pin Etiquette, which you should read before you begin. Seriously. My mother's on Pinterest. Let's keep it clean.

Other than that, you can "like" it, or you can "repin" it. Liking a pin does more than just stamp the pin with an effervescent symbol of your approval. It stores the pin in one big folder of your very own that says "Likes." The pins you like do not show up in the feeds of pinners who follow you, so it's a wonderful way to quickly collect little things here and there that you don't want to forget (a recipe or how-to-clean-with-lemon-slices tutorial) but that you also don't necessarily want cluttering up your follower's home pages.


You should have a code concerning what you pin, an internal guideline, a sense. You should pin the things you don't want to live without. The things you want to somehow, with or without effort, incorporate into your life. Things that make your eyes widen slightly, or a smile form, or even the tenderest tear fall. They should be things you want to look at again in five years, and in ten. Pin what moves you. Pin what you care about. Because you are amassing a collection. And if you collect a load of crap, it will be your pinterburden for all time.

3. When pinning from a website other than Pinterest itself, try your darndest to pin from a solid original webpage. One that will not change its content. This is called a permalink. Be careful of this especially when you pin from Tumblr or other similar sites. I cannot tell how many times I have tried to locate the original source of a pin only to find myself trolling through dozens of pages on someone's Tumblr or blog. It's not just about convenience, though. It's about crediting your sources. A photographer should be findable from his/her photograph. A designer should be findable from his/her quirky logo. This isn't just a guideline, either. Pinterest asks you to do it, and plenty of artists, designers, photographers, companies in general, etc. are legitimately worried about the implications of Pinterest when the sources of things are not maintained. Honor the artist.

These are only three pinterules, but they should be all you need, at least as you get going. In the meantime, here are some other great pinners to follow:

http://pinterest.com/mishqueen/
http://pinterest.com/oldsoul/
http://pinterest.com/susanpearls/
http://pinterest.com/lilbikergirl/
http://pinterest.com/wendyd/
http://pinterest.com/lctortuga/

Have fun!

*Note, graphic above came from here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

window in the sub

Dear Nathaniel, I am microwaving pie that Mom bought up in Oak Glen this week on her way home from the orthodontist. As I put it in the microwave, I was full of sadness that I was not in Oak Glen with her. Why did I not go? I was working. I want to see the trees turn. I want to wander slowly through autumnal gift shops. Under the water, you cannot sense the approach of the seasons. Even here it is difficult because, after all, it's California. But I can still sense it. After three seasons in Illinois and one in Scotland, it must be with me for good. Or at least for a while. Because I am all abuzz with eagerness for fall and winter, for turkeys and dried leaves and Santa. I should start cooking again this fall. Fall foods are my favorite. Baked squash dripping with melted butter and brown sugar, pumpkin soup... this year, if I have enough money, I will put together a holiday dinner for my friends. And we will drink Scandinavian mulled wine, which is the most wonderful thing I have e...

Being a Baker

Working at the Main Library has surprising advantages. Just now I stepped out of my office, walked five paces across the hall, scanned a badge, and walked under the civic center plaza to the elevator that stretches from beneath the earth up to the mayor’s office on the fourteenth floor. I didn’t have so far to go—just up one level to the utilities counter, where a sympathetic, amused woman named Sue shut down my gas payments. It took less than five minutes. I finished packing up my kitchen days ago. My cake pans were in boxes sometime early last week. But as I walked through the underground loading dock on my way back to the office, I was distinctly aware of the finality of what I’d just done. I would never, from that moment on, be able to bake for anyone out of that kitchen. Maybe it doesn’t seem like a very big deal, but I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of a certain identity, namely being “the person who bakes a lot”. I made a tiered wedding cake for some friends (because...

Fontastic

One of the perpetual projects in my little publishing company's life is the development of our company logo. This is my favorite project, as it involves the use of fonts. And I am rather a font fanatic. I have spent the last few hours trolling dafont.com, which is a wonderful website of free and mostly-free fonts for personal and often commercial usage. Rather than download every font I like, I sketched out my own versions of each of them as they inspired me. I thought I'd share them with you here, and if any of my noble readers have preferences, feel free to shoot me a comment. I am hoping I have determined the font-of-choice by the time the new website is ready to go up. After all, what's a corporate website without a corporate logo? Here are some photos of my most recent selections.