Skip to main content

A few reviews

'Being John Malkovich' is in my list of top five strangest movies. It's right up there with 'It's All About Love', which is also in my top five worst movies list (these lists are unstable and organic, otherwise I would provide them here and now).
'Enchanted' is enchanting. I will say no more, for there are many people who might read this who don't want me to reveal anything before they see it for themselves.

'Bella' - everyone should see it. It has been described as 'melodramatic and predictable'. I might agree except that I didn't mind foreseeing the end and I have a tendency to view all of life with a little more drama than is generally required. Moreover, some people simply have serious problems. And sometimes those people meet up. And sometimes that intersection is worth narrating. Or filming. So I felt it was more than justified. It is also worth the two hours and seven bucks to see the most sympathetic eyes in the universe. That is what you will see. Divine sympathy.


'Persuasion' (1995) is a very good film for those suffering from shattered nerves. I realise that shattered nerves are rare this side of the nineteenth century, but when one lives through the piercing screech of our home's rigorous security system - particularly when one has set it off oneself after standing stupidly in front of the code box frantically punching in the wrong numbers - one is apt to forget that 'nerves' are a thing of the past. My back is still rather sore from the sheer physical tension of the event.


('Persuasion' [2007] is rather good also, though I can't speak for its efficacy in the face of shock and disturbia. Slightly more... weepy, in general, but sporting the charming Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Wentworth - who can wait for it's stateside appearance in stores this January? I confess great personal impatience with the release date.)

update: I meant to mention this one as well: 'Babel'. I have been looking forward to seeing this film since I first heard of it - long before the trailer was released. Unable to see it in theatres, when it finally made it to video I found myself putting it off over and over. Finally, while Martin was visiting me the weekend after Thanksgiving, we picked it up at the library. It was a good movie. But whether my expectations were too high or the hype was too big, I found myself disappointed. I had every intention of adding it to my list of top ten, thus bumping off one of the more comfortable titles (I haven't added much since 'The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada' last year, which film my father is presently writing a paper on, and which I will probably watch within the hour). But it just wasn't that good. The various plotlines were connected too haphazardly. I cared about the characters only rarely. It was beautiful cinematography, but to no purpose. Cate never disappoints, of course, but I think I will enjoy watching her next week in the second of her 'Elizabeth' portrayals far more than I did a week and a half ago.

Comments

  1. Being John Malkovich is one of my all time favorite movies. But I enjoy strange movies. Is Donnie Darko on any of your lists?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet, but I've been told to see it by several friends, so maybe it's about time I take the plunge. I am not averse to strange movies in general, and Charlie Kaufman won my heart with Eternal Sunshine, but this was a little over the top for me. There was never a point at which I accepted the surrealism and was able to view the film within it. The quirks were always making themselves noticed as quirks and nothing more. But I think it's the sort of film that will engender different responses from nearly everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you about Babel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love Being JM,

    Enchanted was much better than I was expecting.

    My mom wanted me to see bella, and I really liked it a lot. You can tell that the film makers are kinda new to the game, but I still really liked it.

    I am behind in my movies at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bella...nice movie...you say an interesting thing, some people have serious problemos & when they meet, it sometimes creates an interesting story. The characters in Bella were sympathetic...sad...let themselves become victims in ways, allowing themselves to become prisoners of sorts...because they allow certain events to define their lives...dramatic, even tradgic...but then they found a way to do something joyful...that was the nice resolution of the movie.

    You're in Palm Desert...I just published a novel that takes place in Mojave Desert. Read it. Post a review of what you think on Amazon.com and on my blog.

    I like your blog.
    cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kathryn, do NOT be jealous of me going to the opera. It was weird. They were wearing these bulky animal costumes and clonking boots which might have been okay except that their footsteps drowned out the sound of the orchestra (Oh look! A band!). The plot was supposed to be about the circle of life or something deep, but it really seemed to be more about animals getting it on. It was an opera, though, so plot really shouldn't matter as long as the music is good. It wasn't. I mean, it wasn't BAD - but most of the singing was monotonous, the orchestration was unremarkable, and I hope to heaven no one from the production reads this. It would be so disheartening! They were all skillful - I just wasn't interested in the piece itself. But then, I have only ever seen very classical sorts of pieces. The Marriage of Figaro. Samson and Delilah. And I was listening to Puccini before leaving the house! What do you do? But then again, I was distracted by my seating companion. Five so

window in the sub

Dear Nathaniel, I am microwaving pie that Mom bought up in Oak Glen this week on her way home from the orthodontist. As I put it in the microwave, I was full of sadness that I was not in Oak Glen with her. Why did I not go? I was working. I want to see the trees turn. I want to wander slowly through autumnal gift shops. Under the water, you cannot sense the approach of the seasons. Even here it is difficult because, after all, it's California. But I can still sense it. After three seasons in Illinois and one in Scotland, it must be with me for good. Or at least for a while. Because I am all abuzz with eagerness for fall and winter, for turkeys and dried leaves and Santa. I should start cooking again this fall. Fall foods are my favorite. Baked squash dripping with melted butter and brown sugar, pumpkin soup... this year, if I have enough money, I will put together a holiday dinner for my friends. And we will drink Scandinavian mulled wine, which is the most wonderful thing I have e
Someday, if there is a man trying to woo me and finding it difficult (unlikely, but possible), he need only put this on .