Skip to main content

Just finished the first in the Mortal Instruments series, City of Bones, by Cassandra Clare. This is, of course, all part of my Summer of Reading thing, which has no plan or purpose other than to read as much as possible of anything not on my reading list. As many 'throw-away' books as possible. In fact, the only thing on my reading list I actually intend to read in Les Miserables, and I don't honestly think I'll finish that till December. I like the idea of one massive tome defining a year.

Ms. Clare is objecting to my use of the phrase 'throw-away book' in the same paragraph as her Mortal Instruments series. But really, Ms. Clare, if you compare it to the books that are on my reading list, you would understand. I hope. I started reading this series for two reasons. First, I was curious to know if it was worth suggesting to book-buying patrons. I mean, I've put it right there on the table along with Stephenie Meyer. People do ask questions. Second, and more compellingly, I love the color pallette of the covers. They're only slightly melodramatic and busy. And I really wouldn't have been so easily swayed before the third book came out. The bronze background, the hipster-demonhunter look - all very sexy.

Oh yes, did I mention these books were about demonhunters? I didn't know either, because I avoided reading the blurb beforehand. Well, I started reading the blurb of book three after I'd already started reading book one, then realized it was a terrible, horrible spoiler mistake. Bad. Idea. Anyway, yes. So this teenage girl discovers that not only is the world filled with demons and werewolves and faeries and stuff, and not only are there other human(?) beings who go around killing the demons and the other creatures who get out of control, but she's much more a part of their world than she ever knew. There's a really twisted sort of lovish kinda story that will, I am sure, be thoroughly ironed out in the next two books. It's a fast, fun read, more adventure than romance (sorry, Twilighters), and even though an enormous backstory has to be unraveled in the midst of present action and confusion, it never feels as though that history is forced, or worse, that it was made up as the writer went along. On the contrary, you learn everything at just the right time and in just the right way (except for one small detail that could have saved two characters some serious awkwardness and future therapy).

I did find myself getting annoyed with all the interruptions. It's one of Ms. Clare's writing tricks that she withholds information by interrupting her characters just as they're about to say or do something important - like Simon's declaration at the beginning of the book being drowned out by the sudden and ironic arrival of Jace. That sort of sudden arrival happens about every ten to fifteen pages. You can pretty much predict the entrance of a new character by the increasing importance of a conversation.

I also found character development to be a little awkward. There were pretty much two main characters in this book (I strongly suspect that by the third book Simon will be taking up more stage space than he's presently allowed, being a mundane). Jace was one of them, and he was very thoroughly and intricately presented. He's just the right kind of complicated, and we get to see it all. But most of the story is told from Clary's perspective (though not in the first person), so it would be nice if we had any kind of notion as to her personality. She's funny and brave and impulsive, but indistinct. None of her actions are very predictable, which makes her very convenient for a plot (i.e. if you want your characters to be suddenly and efficiently transported to another state, just make sure one of them is the sort who might spontaneously leap up and walk through a magic portal without provocation). But it also made the book very easy to put down. If the only investment I have in the story is my curiosity about punk supernatural warfare, we're on thin ground.

Thankfully, it's my Summer of Reading (not that I don't read every season of the year, but whatever), and thin ground or not, I'll be picking up the second book tonight.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

window in the sub

Dear Nathaniel, I am microwaving pie that Mom bought up in Oak Glen this week on her way home from the orthodontist. As I put it in the microwave, I was full of sadness that I was not in Oak Glen with her. Why did I not go? I was working. I want to see the trees turn. I want to wander slowly through autumnal gift shops. Under the water, you cannot sense the approach of the seasons. Even here it is difficult because, after all, it's California. But I can still sense it. After three seasons in Illinois and one in Scotland, it must be with me for good. Or at least for a while. Because I am all abuzz with eagerness for fall and winter, for turkeys and dried leaves and Santa. I should start cooking again this fall. Fall foods are my favorite. Baked squash dripping with melted butter and brown sugar, pumpkin soup... this year, if I have enough money, I will put together a holiday dinner for my friends. And we will drink Scandinavian mulled wine, which is the most wonderful thing I have e...

Being a Baker

Working at the Main Library has surprising advantages. Just now I stepped out of my office, walked five paces across the hall, scanned a badge, and walked under the civic center plaza to the elevator that stretches from beneath the earth up to the mayor’s office on the fourteenth floor. I didn’t have so far to go—just up one level to the utilities counter, where a sympathetic, amused woman named Sue shut down my gas payments. It took less than five minutes. I finished packing up my kitchen days ago. My cake pans were in boxes sometime early last week. But as I walked through the underground loading dock on my way back to the office, I was distinctly aware of the finality of what I’d just done. I would never, from that moment on, be able to bake for anyone out of that kitchen. Maybe it doesn’t seem like a very big deal, but I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of a certain identity, namely being “the person who bakes a lot”. I made a tiered wedding cake for some friends (because...

Fontastic

One of the perpetual projects in my little publishing company's life is the development of our company logo. This is my favorite project, as it involves the use of fonts. And I am rather a font fanatic. I have spent the last few hours trolling dafont.com, which is a wonderful website of free and mostly-free fonts for personal and often commercial usage. Rather than download every font I like, I sketched out my own versions of each of them as they inspired me. I thought I'd share them with you here, and if any of my noble readers have preferences, feel free to shoot me a comment. I am hoping I have determined the font-of-choice by the time the new website is ready to go up. After all, what's a corporate website without a corporate logo? Here are some photos of my most recent selections.