Skip to main content

finds

I only crawled out of bed about half an hour ago, but I've already come across a number of phenomenal finds on this here interweb. The first was thanks to my friend Tara, who has begun her entrepreneuringhood in the fabulous world of etsy. For those who don't know it, let me enlighten you: www.etsy.com Welcome to Your Place To Buy and Sell All Things Handmade! About a month ago, I went into L.A. with my mother and sister to a sort of festival of handicrafts . Most of the people there, I think, sell their stuff on etsy as well. I've known about it for a while, but every now and then I discover something fresh and new and it fills me with new delight in this strange interconnected world we live in. Not everything crumbles with age! Some things are given new life. Here's a link to Tara's page. Keep and eye on it for updated merchandise.

So I was browsing etsy's handmade books, remembering how much I want to reprint MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin in a beautiful and worthy way. This reminded me that I needed to find out if it was in the public domain. So I went to Project Gutenberg, one of my favorite burrows of the world wide web, and hunted it down. Lo! It is free to the world! Very exciting. So then I was browsing Gutenberg's homepage, trying to figure out if all their texts were past copyright or only some of them. Someone was being clever, listing all the interesting things one can and cannot do with Project Gutenberg texts, and this link came up... prepare yourself.... for beauty: http://www.sublackwell.co.uk/gallery.php?id=1

Not much I can say after that.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

window in the sub

Dear Nathaniel, I am microwaving pie that Mom bought up in Oak Glen this week on her way home from the orthodontist. As I put it in the microwave, I was full of sadness that I was not in Oak Glen with her. Why did I not go? I was working. I want to see the trees turn. I want to wander slowly through autumnal gift shops. Under the water, you cannot sense the approach of the seasons. Even here it is difficult because, after all, it's California. But I can still sense it. After three seasons in Illinois and one in Scotland, it must be with me for good. Or at least for a while. Because I am all abuzz with eagerness for fall and winter, for turkeys and dried leaves and Santa. I should start cooking again this fall. Fall foods are my favorite. Baked squash dripping with melted butter and brown sugar, pumpkin soup... this year, if I have enough money, I will put together a holiday dinner for my friends. And we will drink Scandinavian mulled wine, which is the most wonderful thing I have e...

Being a Baker

Working at the Main Library has surprising advantages. Just now I stepped out of my office, walked five paces across the hall, scanned a badge, and walked under the civic center plaza to the elevator that stretches from beneath the earth up to the mayor’s office on the fourteenth floor. I didn’t have so far to go—just up one level to the utilities counter, where a sympathetic, amused woman named Sue shut down my gas payments. It took less than five minutes. I finished packing up my kitchen days ago. My cake pans were in boxes sometime early last week. But as I walked through the underground loading dock on my way back to the office, I was distinctly aware of the finality of what I’d just done. I would never, from that moment on, be able to bake for anyone out of that kitchen. Maybe it doesn’t seem like a very big deal, but I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of a certain identity, namely being “the person who bakes a lot”. I made a tiered wedding cake for some friends (because...

Again in Gilead

I just finished reading this for the second time last week, thanks to the forever book group of Grace. It was equally as lovely the second time around, and while reading it, I wrote down a dozen more quotes from the incomparable Ames, who is both too beautiful a man to be real and too beautiful a man not to be real. (I'm grateful and amazed to know a few like him.) "It has been my experience that guilt can burst through the smallest breach and cover the landscape, and abide in it in pools and danknesses, just as native as water." (p.82) I have found this to be remarkably true. I see it in myself, and in many others as well. "I believe there are visions that come to us only in memory, in retrospect." (p.91) This seems to be about the only way I experience visions, but because memory is a rickety thing, I tend not to trust them much. Which makes me a poor prophet. "I know, too, that my own experience of the church has been, in many senses, shelte...